Mum’s horror as baby son is attacked in park by teenager while onlookers did nothing

A mum has told of her horror after her baby was allegedly assaulted by a violent teenager while two carers accompanying the teen “did nothing”.

Koyan Abdulla, mum to nine-month-old Nali Hassan, was taking her son for a walk around Moses Gate Country Park in Bolton around 1pm on September 15, when he was allegedly attacked.

The 34-year-old alleged the teenage girl, who had previously been throwing stones and kicking ducks, suddenly turned on her youngster and started grabbing and scratching his head.

Nali was rushed to hospital and discharged a short time later.

Police have since arrested a 17-year-old girl on suspicion of assault.

Koyan, from Farnworth, said she was more distressed that the two carers who were with the girl allegedly “did nothing” during the incident.

Speaking to the Manchester Evening News, the mum-of-three said: “We often go to that park. I’d just been to Asda. I brought some toast for the ducks. Suddenly, I don’t know who she was, starting speaking to Nali.”

She described how the teenager had been throwing stones and kicking at ducks, and had sworn obscenities at her.

But as the teen allegedly scratched her tot, the worried mum rushed him to safety. She said: “I just took Nali out of the pram and hugged him and ran to the other side of the park.”

Koyan said police later told her that the two women who were with the attacker were her carers, whom she said officers spoke to at the scene.

She added: “I was shocked. Nobody was helping. It’s not the attacker’s fault. They are obviously not OK. But these two carers were responsible. They know how to care for this person but they didn’t do anything.

“I don’t want this to happen to anybody else. Nali could have died that day. I don’t want that to happen to anybody else. The two carers didn’t help at all. They didn’t say sorry.

“Nali was crying. I was shaking and crying.”

Mother and baby were taken by ambulance to Royal Bolton Hospital’s A&E department. The infant was discharged a short time later. Koyan said she has been so traumatised she has not been able to leave her house since the attack.

Her husband Zimnako Sleiman, 49, a Kurdish interpreter, drove to the park after hearing about the incident from his wife.

He said: “He’s suffered some bruising and scratches on the side of her head. He’s OK but his attitude has changed. I just want to know why the carers didn’t stop this person.”

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police said: “A 17-year-old girl was arrested on suspicion of assault at the time and has since been released under investigation.”

Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust and Bolton Council have been approached for comments.

A council spokesman said the attacker was not known to them and so would not have been accompanied by council staff.

The trust told the MEN they would not comment on the incident.